Hello, blog-readers! My name is Nicole Guise and for the next year and a half, I will be documenting my experiences leading up to student teaching and my student teaching internship on this blog.
 |
| Sadie and I at our first cow show |
But first, here is a little bit about me.
I have been involved with agriculture from a young age. My grandparents own a 500-acre dairy farm in York Springs, Pennsylvania and my parents own a 10-acre heifer operation in Spring Grove, Pennsylvania. My family raises mostly Holstein cattle, but I have managed to introduce a few Jerseys and an Ayshire to the herd (thanks, dad!).
I was extremely involved in 4-H and completed the dairy beef, dairy, photography, and vet science projects. I was also a delegate to National 4-H Congress, National Student Ag Day, and two national-level dairy judging contests. One of my favorite 4-H activities, and first experiences working with youth, was being a camp counselor.
My high school did not have a formal school-based agriculture education program but we did have a Future Farmers Club (we called it "FFC") - a spin-off of FFA - and I was involved with Drive Your Tractor to School Day and a project to grow butternut quash for local food banks.
 |
| Promotions at a local library and high school |
I credit my involvement on my family's dairy farms for my passion for the dairy industry and agriculture at large. In 2017, I had the honor of serving as the York County Dairy Princess. In this role, I prepared lessons for classrooms, attended community outreach events, and wrote educational newspaper articles. It was after I hosted an inner-city school on a field trip at the county fair that I realized Agricultural Education was a fit for me!
I began my post-secondary education at Penn State York. There, I was accepted to the Graham Center for Entrepreneurial Leadership Fellows Program. During my freshman year, a group of students and myself competed in the Start-Up Challenge, similar to the television show
Shark Tank. We won the contest with a pitch to develop a gardening service that would bring agriculture, pollinators, and fresh foods to food insecure and agriculturally illiterate suburban and urban communities.
 |
| Two of my teammates still run the Startin' Gardens business in the summer! |
Now, I am a junior at Penn State's University Park Campus majoring in Agricultural and Extension Education and minoring in International Agriculture and Environmental Resource Management. On campus, I am involved with the Ag Advocates, Student Farm Club, Dairy Science Club and Literacy, Education, and Agricultural Development (LEAD) Society. I am also a member of the Schreyer Honors College, and this semester I have started my honors thesis which will look at agriculture educators' confidence for teaching Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM).
 |
| PA has 6 labs that travel to schools |
Last summer, I was the education/outreach intern for the Pennsylvania Friends of Agriculture Foundation, a nonprofit of the Pennsylvania Farm Bureau. I helped organize events like Ag Night at the Ballpark, Ag Progress Days, and Educators' Ag Institute. I also created three new lessons for on the Ag Ed Mobile Science Lab, which is a trailer the travels across the state doing agriculture literacy lessons with students in grades K-8! One of my favorite projects from the summer was presenting a workshop at Educators' Ag Institute. My session was specifically focused on how to incorporate agricultural engineering into subjects like English and Math. The teachers enjoyed my "Build-A-Chute" activity based on the work of Temple Grandin. This upcoming summer, I will be returning to The Foundation to continue working on projects that will increase agricultural literacy in Pennsylvania.
 |
| Ag Progress Days |
I am excited for the coming semesters, which I know will be a time of immense personal growth. I can't wait to learn more about the ins-and-outs of FFA, supervised agricultural experiences (SAEs), and agriculture mechanics. Let the journey begin!
Comments
Post a Comment