As a part of my search for a cooperating center, I visited Troy High School, Northern High School, Dover Area High School, and New Oxford High School. Then, I had conversations with teachers at Biglerville High School, Greenwood High School, and Chambersburg Area Senior High School. For this specific blog post, I am going to be reflecting on my visit with the teachers at New Oxford High School.
Quick Facts:
In short, there are three main reasons I am drawn to student teach at New Oxford High School: the teachers, rigorous welding courses, and networking opportunities. Mr. Jones and Mr. Hall make a unique team, one that combines experience with new, innovative ideas. I believe student teaching internship under their supervision would result in an experience that fosters learning, mentorship, and growth. During my visit, I was most impressed by Mr. Jones's natural ability to connect and relate with students. As we walked down the hallway, students were not shy about saying hello and expressing their admiration for Mr. Jones. When talking to past and current student teachers their advice to me was to focus on the interactions I have with teachers, since you will be spending a lot of time with these individuals.
Additionally, New Oxford offers a very rigorous welding program. Mr. Jones teaches the following welding classes: Introduction to Welding, Metal Technologies, Stick Welding, MIG Welding, TIG Welding, and Welding Independent Study. Welding is definitely not my area of expertise and it excites me that I could potentially walk away from my student teaching experience having mastered a new skill and had a tremendous amount of experience teaching this subject area.
Lastly, New Oxford is just one of the many schools in Adams County and surrounding area with an Agricultural Education program. New Oxford often collaborates with Gettysburg Area Senior High School, Biglerville High School, and Fairfield High School to attend the National FFA Convention and hold community events. To me, this says a lot about how much the community values their Agricultural Education programs and I am eagerly anticipating the opportunity to interact with many Agricultural Education teachers.
I would love to hear your advice and thoughts about choosing a cooperating center in the comment section below!
![]() |
| Mascot, the Colonial |
- New Oxford High School is located within the Conewago Valley Area School District and operates the Colonial Career and Technology Center in-house.
- 1,217 students attend New Oxford High School. The student-to-teacher ratio is 16:1.
- They have two agriculture teachers: Mr. Jones and Mr. Hall. Mr. Jones holds the world record for most sheep shorn in a day, 712! Click here to read more.
- New Oxford High School ranks in the top 30% of schools in Pennsylvania.
In short, there are three main reasons I am drawn to student teach at New Oxford High School: the teachers, rigorous welding courses, and networking opportunities. Mr. Jones and Mr. Hall make a unique team, one that combines experience with new, innovative ideas. I believe student teaching internship under their supervision would result in an experience that fosters learning, mentorship, and growth. During my visit, I was most impressed by Mr. Jones's natural ability to connect and relate with students. As we walked down the hallway, students were not shy about saying hello and expressing their admiration for Mr. Jones. When talking to past and current student teachers their advice to me was to focus on the interactions I have with teachers, since you will be spending a lot of time with these individuals.
Additionally, New Oxford offers a very rigorous welding program. Mr. Jones teaches the following welding classes: Introduction to Welding, Metal Technologies, Stick Welding, MIG Welding, TIG Welding, and Welding Independent Study. Welding is definitely not my area of expertise and it excites me that I could potentially walk away from my student teaching experience having mastered a new skill and had a tremendous amount of experience teaching this subject area.
Lastly, New Oxford is just one of the many schools in Adams County and surrounding area with an Agricultural Education program. New Oxford often collaborates with Gettysburg Area Senior High School, Biglerville High School, and Fairfield High School to attend the National FFA Convention and hold community events. To me, this says a lot about how much the community values their Agricultural Education programs and I am eagerly anticipating the opportunity to interact with many Agricultural Education teachers.
I would love to hear your advice and thoughts about choosing a cooperating center in the comment section below!



Comments
Post a Comment