While the current situation presents many challenges, there are some opportunities that have come out of the COVID-19 pandemic. In all my newly found free time, I am taking advantage of professional development opportunities from Penn State Extension. During the month of April, Penn State Extension opened online courses for FREE! I recently completed the National Safe Tractor and Machinery Operation Program (NSTMOP) for educators and the Teach for Forests training.
I am excited to use both of these programs during my student teaching internship and in my career. Below are three takeaways from the NSTMOP training.
1. Safety
After completing this program, I am even more aware of on-farm safety concerns, especially around machinery. I am confident that I could use the resources provided not just to certify students, but also in my classroom to facilitate conversations around safety and creating a safety-first culture.2. SAE Opportunities
The time that I spent on this training, will directly benefit my students. As a result, I can now certify students through the NSTMOP program and know that when they pursue SAE placements/internships on local farms they will have the proper training. This training would also benefit students pursuing ownership/entrepreneurship SAEs because these students may have a more relaxed view of farm machinery safety, especially if they come from an agricultural family or community that "has been farming since they could walk".3. Collaboration
In the future, I am looking forward to collaborating with other school-based agricultural education programs, 4-H clubs, breed organizations, and Penn State Extension groups to certify youth in the community and prevent farming accidents....................................................................................................................................................................
Below are three takeaways from the Teach for Forests training.
1. Content knowledge
While I have a minor in Environmental Resource Management, my minor classes have focused mainly on conservation and water resources. This training gave me a strong foundation in forestry and plant science, both of which are potential topics I would teach during my student teaching internship or career.2. Fire Starters
One of the resources I received in the Teach for Forests training was a list of fire starters, or activities to get students excited about learning about natural resources. I am planning to use these activities as interest approaches to my lessons or inquiry-based activities. One of the ideas was to have the students keep a nature journal where they would draw or collect (and later identify) leaves, seeds, flowers, and animal tracks.3. Collaboration
In the future, I am looking forward to partnering with Penn State Extension, the Pennslyvania Game Commission, and local/state parks to provide real-world, hands-on experiences in forestry and conservation for my students....................................................................................................................................................................
To my #PSUAgEd21 cohort members - Have you completed any Penn State Extension courses or professional development opportunities during your time at home? Comment your favorite below!
Comments
Post a Comment