It is senior year, and I am preparing for my first day of school, which will be in January - things are a little out of order right now.
This week our methods lab assignment was to simulate what the first day of school would look like in our classroom. The only requirements were that we review our classroom procedures, expectations, and consequences and conduct a get-to-know-you activity within 10 minutes.
For my session, I began class like a normal day and asked students to model the correct behaviors before they even knew what the classroom procedures were. I did this by using designating behaviors and giving clear verbal and written directions. I had bellwork on the board and reviewed the objectives for the day right off the bat. I think this was important for setting the tone versus allowing students to make up their own procedures for the first day. This way, when I formally reviewed the procedures students didn't think twice they were just like "Ok, we already know how to do that".
For my ice breaker activity, I asked students to pair up and discuss the question,
If you could be any animal for the rest of your life what would you be and why?I thought this question paired nicely with the course, Veterinary Science, and accomplished my goals of getting students to interact and share about themselves so the instructor and classmates could start to get to know each other.
I chose to spend more time explaining classroom procedures and less time explaining expectations and consequences for a few reasons.
1. The classroom procedures are what will make the course run efficiently day-to-day, so in my opinion, these are the most important.
2. I wanted to give students ownership of the classroom expectations by providing an outline of what I expect as their teacher, but then having the students tell me what the means to them by providing examples. I used the collaborative website, Mural, to do this. I liked using this website because students could work in one space all at the same time (similar to a Google Doc) and it was well-suited for virtual teaching which was how I completed my lesson via Zoom. I asked my class to provide examples under the expectations I had given them: Be respectful, be engaged, be responsible, and be safe. This is what they said and given more time to complete the lesson, would have sparked a great conversation about what my classroom environment would look like and feel like throughout the school year.
3. In my classroom, I do not want to waste time lecturing over consequences. Sure it is important to have a framework for how misbehavior will be handled and to clearly communicate that to students, but ideally, my consequence will align to those of my school district and students should be aware of how misbehavior is generally handled via the student handbook, which students are bombarded with on the first day of school from guidance counselors, principals, and other teachers anyways.

I loved how you used Mural in the lesson! It was such a great way to give us (the students) autonomy in what these expectations would look like in the classroom. I liked how you added in about give more time, you would have facilitated a conversation around what the students put on Mural. Also, I loved the idea of having a notebook for bell work and grading it as a participation grade.
ReplyDeleteI though that you did a very thorough job creating and elevating a first day of school lesson to be taught via the web. Although the world we are living in currently is not ideal, you adapted to the change and did not skip a beat through your teaching. I really like how you had the students participate in repeating your expectations, rules and procedures and had them provide examples to ensure they know what is asked of them. Great job!
ReplyDeleteGreat job Nicole! I really liked the icebreaker activity, it was fun to hear what everyone picked and their reasons why. I also like how you made your first day of school lesson very interactive with the students. I think your expectation activity was a great way to introduce your expectations while also checking for understanding among the students.
ReplyDelete