This week's teaching lab focused on inquiry-based learning. My inspiration for this lesson came from John Spencer's Wonder Week and Wonder Day resources. I also saw a fellow Ag Teacher on Instagram (@agteacherhowtos) try this activity in her classroom and decided to tweak it for an environmental science class.
In my activity, I had each student choose a different bird of prey and come up with a research question, specific to that bird, that they wanted to know the answer to. We discussed the importance of formulating good questions, choosing reliable sources, and properly citing sources. Students researched the who, what, where, when, why, and how of their question and complied the information they found on a Google Slide. At the end of the class period, students had an opportunity to share what they had found. In many cases, the students' answers led them to ask even more questions!
Here is just one student example. We were pressed for time in lab, but if I were to replicate this activity in the classroom, I estimate that it would take one period for students to research their question and another period for students to present what they found.
As an instructor, I would give myself 4 out of 5 stars for this lesson. I think I did a good job of facilitating the inquiry process as well as connecting this lesson to academic standards in ELA like evaluating and citing sources properly. Also, as the teacher, I like how all the students were working in one shared Google Slides file. I noticed that my classmates had prepared a worksheet - which is a totally acceptable method - I just caught myself thinking about collecting back all those papers. Whereas, in this case, if I were to grade this activity, I can easily assign each student a grade and all I need is one file.
This was also my first lesson where I utilized a student volunteer to write notes on the board. I was previously scared that this would just lead to chaos and confusion, but it actually worked really well and I think it also helped connect ideas that were coming up in the classroom to those coming from Zoom. Besides passing out materials, what are other ways to use student volunteers in the classroom?
I think I could have done a better job making this activity more exciting. If I were to redo any part of this lesson, I would choose to revise the interest approach. I wish I would have included a fun video about investigating questions and setting this activity up as if the students were solving a mystery to make it more engaging.
My final comment about this lesson is that it can easily be done in person or remotely. While I do not know if I will be student teaching remotely, in-person, or a combination of both, I am glad that I got to try this activity with my classmates first because I think it could easily be a go-to for me in January. What other learning activities have you seen or used that create the same learning experience for in-person students and online students or at least allow for collaboration?

Nicole,
ReplyDeleteGreat reflection on your lesson. I like the fact that you rated yourself with a number :-)
I would probably rate you at a 4.5 out of 5 stars on the lesson! It was fun and engaging, and I like the fact that you are thinking about reaching all students no matter of their mode of learning. Keep up the great work, as you have provided some great instruction to your peers over the course of the semester, and I know you are doing a nice job of planning for instruction with your students beginning in January!
-Dr. Ewing
You had a great lesson! Not only was it a creative for students to learn about birds of prey, but it is an excellent way to get students to research and investigate. I loved that you had The Who, what, why, when, where, and how questions included as well! I wish we had more class time to find better answers to your question but that’s what we get for our 20 minute labs. It was a great lesson and one I would use for any unit in an environment course!
ReplyDeleteNicole,
ReplyDeleteI really loved your lesson! It was so fun, a great way to teach about using reliable sources in a stress free way and also introduced new content. I really like how you used google slides for this activity and I think it would work really well in both the virtual and in-person format. I do like your idea about adding a video as an interest approach. I think that would really put the cherry on top of this lesson!
Great job!
Nicole, I loved how you allowed us to investigate whatever we would like about our birds! The ownership we were able to take on as students really enticed me to work harder when looking for answers to my question. I think that ownership in learning is very important for students and what allows them to be so successful with these types of projects. Great job!
ReplyDelete