The 12 Days of Christmas - The Remix!

 And just like that the fall semester has come and gone! This semester has been intense and I am looking forward to the holiday break and spending time with my family and friends - at an appropriate distance, of course. In the car this morning, I heard the song "12 Days of Christmas" playing on the radio and it inspired me to write the "7 Remaining Days of the Fall Semester: Ag Ed Edition" to recap the rollercoaster ride that has been the last 15 weeks. 

So, here we go....

7 - Days until my final presentation

6 - Unit plans left to write

5 - The number of family members who have asked, "When will you have a job?"

4 - Times per day I ask the powers above that schools don't have to switch to 100% remote instruction

3 - Cups of coffee - my daily dose of caffeine (or maybe it's motivation)

2 - Cooperating centers (I don't think I blogged about this, but I am now student teaching with Ms. Case at Cumberland Valley School District!)

1 - *Extremely* excited student teacher!


This week I am reflecting not just on my most recent methods lab, but also on my entire semester of preparation. This week's lab was a little different and instead of being given the method for teaching (inquiry, demonstration, etc.) we were given a lesson plan from the National FFA Life Knowledge Curriculum. The lesson plans, as they were written, were intended for a 50-minute face-to-face class. However, we were given 25 minutes on Zoom - so the key this week was to adapt, adapt, adapt.  

For my lesson, I chose advocating for community service. This lesson asked students to reflect on the needs of their community, to identify service projects, and to persuade individuals to participate in these projects. My "students" and I had some great conversations around influential people in our lives and "the good type of peer pressure". Then, I challenged the students to create a persuasive poster advocating for a community service project of their choice that would be convincing enough their friends would want to participate. I was really excited to implement a strategy I learned in my High Impact Strategies IU course - four corners. For this activity, students are given four choices, and then they are asked to complete a task based on the corner or choice they chose. This activity works for in-person learning because students can move around the room to the physical corners of the room. Or, it can work virtually presented on a slide and students have some autonomy over the activity they are about to complete. 

Looking back on this semester and reflecting on how I have grown as an educator. I can recall being very nervous before my first methods lab. I triple checked everything - my notes, my PowerPoint, everything. I wanted it to be perfect. Now, I have learned that teaching is never perfect, but it is closer to perfect when you don't plan for every minute, utilize the resources that you have, focus on creating connections with students, and have a mindset that emphasizes learning something new every day. As a planner, it is easy for me to be consumed in the plans, timelines, and writing things on paper (and don't get me wrong these things are important) but what is more important are the people who show up to class every day. 

This year I have faced a lot of challenges - and in the moment they seemed like dead ends - but from these experiences, I have learned a lot about myself as an educator. And if I didn't know it before, I certainly proved it to myself within the last 4 weeks, I am not one to stay down long. I have found a renewed sense of confidence that no matter what my student teaching experience looks like, I will be able to make the most out of the situation for my students and me. 


At a time where it feels like so much has been taken away from me this past semester, I remind myself that I have so much to be thankful for. For the technology that exists so that I could complete this semester remotely. For the time I have been able to spend with my family because I was at home - going to Dunkin' with my sister a little too frequently or helping my great-grandma with her cleaning. For the supportive community of Agriculture Education teachers in Pennsylvania, but also in other states, that have risen to the occasion to offer guidance and resources to my student teaching cohort. These are the things that matter. 

To #psuaged21 - We are almost there! And I cannot wait to see each and every one of you go forth and conquer your final presentation and student teaching internship. Even though you don't need it, here is a little luck for you🍀! Leave a comment and share a favorite memory you have from this semester!






Comments

  1. My favorite memory from this semester was going out to eat when you came up, Nicole! It was so great to have all eight girls together during this crazy, COVID-filled semester! As far as your lab goes, I thought it was great! You did an amazing job (as always) giving a great lesson via Zoom. I now know all the struggles you've been through on Zoom and commend you for going an entire semester like that! T-minus two days until we present and are then shipped off to our schools!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Nicole, where do I even begin! My favorite memory together has to be our first DSA trip with the "Johns". From roughing in the hotel in New York to the beautiful views in Montana, I am so that full that throughout this adventure I have always had you by my side. You are going to be an amazing educator especially now with all of your experience with online instruction! I loved your lesson and I cannot wait to see what you do at Cumberland Valley!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite memory from this semester would have to be when Elise taught us to juggle in our first lesson lab! I may have hit myself in face with an orange, but it was fun to (sort of) learn a new party trick! I'm so excited to see what CV has in store for you and can't wait to keep up with your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment