Today my observations took me to the physics classroom. I was hesitant about this because I have very little physics knowledge, but I was surprised by how much I enjoyed my time with the physics teacher (who for the purposes of this blog post, I will call Mr. Henderson).
I observed the AP Physics I and AP Physics II classes. The Physics I class was working on a research project related to circular motion and satellites. Students used the website stuffin.space and a Google Doc outline provided by Mr. Henderson to complete the project. I thought Mr. Henderson did a great job introducing the project by demonstrating where to find important documents in Schoology and providing an example. Additionally, he also gave students autonomy within the project description by asking them to choose one question out of five to answer in the application section of the project.
While Mr. Henderson's students were mostly using this research project to solve physics equations using real-world examples, I got to thinking...
"How could I use this website in my agriculture classes?
My preliminary research told me that there are several satellites orbiting the earth that provide agricultural data about temperature, soil moisture, location, etc.
- LANDSAT - tracks crop production, water usage, etc.
- SMAP - tracks soil moisture
- And many different satellites are needed for GIS mapping and GPS-operated machinery
- Reviewed safety information prior to letting students work independently
- Monitored student progress using a shared Google Doc
- Gave time reminders like "You have 24 minutes remaining in class" and "If you are running out of time you may want to just collect the data in class and do the calculations at home"
- Defined goals of the lab clearly and out loud to the class
- Do a closure activity that summarizes objectives from the lab/lesson
- Keep in mind how many "things" students have to do when they work individually. The Physics II class was working on a lab using springs, students had to start and stop the timer, hold the spring at the top, and pull down on the weight - 3 things with 2 hands.

Comments
Post a Comment