During Week 13, I had the opportunity to attend the Pennsylvania Association of Agricultural Educators (PAAE) spring regional meeting. My cooperating center is located in the South-Central region. I am a student member of this professional organization, a previous scholarship recipient, and an active participant in PAAE's various wellness challenges.
During the meeting, there were committee reports and updates from PAAE officers and representatives. I heard of initiatives and projects that PAAE members were working on such as updating science standards to incorporate agriculture, summer PAAE convention, and future PA FFA events and activities.
The following are two questions I pondered while I reflected on my experience at the spring regional meeting.
Why should you join your professional organization?
Personally, I joined my professional organization because I wanted to stay informed about my profession and be able to take advantage of opportunities to improve my teaching. Another great reason to join your professional organization is to be a life-long learner. PAAE hosts a summer conference for Agricultural Education teachers with workshops and speakers that share educational resources, instructional strategies, and so much more! Another plus about professional organizations, especially as a new teacher, is that you can connect with colleagues that have more experience than you and perhaps find a mentor!
What are my favorite things about PAAE?
Without a doubt, my favorite thing about PAAE is the community. It is really great to see familiar faces (even on Zoom) and to hear ideas from fellow Agriculture teachers. As a participant of the wellness challenges PAAE sponsors, I also enjoy that PAAE is not strictly business and finds ways to incorporate health, mindfulness, and other activities into the meeting agendas and projects it promotes. In the future, I am excited to be a part of the New and Beginning Teachers Workshops to meet PAAE members just starting their careers, like me, and connect with more seasoned PAAE members as mentors.#PSUAgEd2021 why are you involved with PAAE and what is your favorite thing about being a member?

Comments
Post a Comment